1956 Tokyo Japan
(1984 Arrived in Australia, permanent resident since 1987.)
Training / Education:
- 1976-1980 Tokyo National University of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Arts Degree, Chôkin (metal work),
- 1980 - 1982 Tokyo National University of Fine Arts, Master of Arts Degree, Chôkin (metal work),.
- 1996-1998 Lecturer (part time), Jewellery & Metal Department, Sydney College of the Arts, Sydney Australia.
- 1998 Guest lecturer, School of Design Studies, College of Fine Arts, Sydney Australia.
- Lecturer, Jewellery & Metal Department, Sydney College of the Arts, Sydney Australia.
- 1999 Artist in residence, Gold and Silversmithing, Canberra School of Art, Canberra Australia.
- 2002 Lecturer (part time), School of Design Studies, College of Fine Arts, Sydney Australia.
Exhibitions (Solo & Group Shows):
- 1985 "Soshingu-1" Yo Gallery Aoyama Tokyo Japan
- 1993 "Ceremonial Transition" Gallery IF Tokyo Japan
- 1994 "Ceremonial Transition" Craft Space Sydney Australia
- 1996 Trimetall Cologne Germany
- 1997 "Oru" Gallery Ra Amsterdam The Netherlands
- 1999 "Soshingu / body adornment; visualising the ethereal surface" Brisbane City Gallery Brisbane Australia
- 2002 "PCA#1", installation with Peter Callas Sanskriti Kendra New Delhi India.
- 2002 "Garland" AC Gallery Tokyo Japan
Recent Group Exhibitions:
- 1993 "93 The Art of Jewellery" Setagaya Museum Tokyo & Itami City Craft Centre Itami Japan
- 1993 "4 Elements" The Blaxland Gallery Sydney Australia
- 1993 "Contemporary Wearables" Toowoomba Art Gallery Toowoomba thereafter tours in regional galleries in Queensland and NSW Australia
- 1993 "Art of Adornment: Contemporary Australian Jewellery" The National Museum of Modern Art Kyoto / Artium, Fukuoka / Laforet Museum Espace Tokyo thereafter tours in South Korea and Indonesia.
- 1994 'Schmuckszene 94' Munich Germany
- 1994 "Jewellery Art 20" Jotsu Gallery Kumamoto Japan
- 1995 "Japanese Contemporary Jewellery" Museum of Decorative Arts Gent Belgium and The National Museum of Modern Art Tokyo Japan
- 1995 "Japanese Sieraden Exposite" Studio Tom Berends The Hague Holland
- 1996 "96 Jewelery Art Competition" Japan Jewellery Designers Association Itami City Craft Center Itami & Asabu Museum Tokyo Japan
- 1996 "Tags" Craft ACT Gallery Canberra Australia
- 1997 Barry Stern Gallery Sydney Australia.
- 1997 "The Metal Element" Quadrivium Sydney Australia
- 1997 "Contemporary Wearables 97" Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery Toowoomba thereafter toured in regional galleries in Australia
- 1998 "Schmuck 98" Munich Germany
- 1998 "Overseas" Gallery Ra, Amsterdam. Holland
- 1998 "Australian Jewellery Today" Gallery Tiller Vienna Austria thereafter tours in other Europian galleries
- 1998 "Chicago Art Fair SOFA" presented by Charon Kransen USA
- 1999 "Contemporary Australian Craft" organised by Powerhouse Museum Sydney toured in Japan and Australia to Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art / Takaoka Art Museum / Museum of Modern Art Shiga / Object Galleries Sydney
- 1999 "The Metal Element II" Quadrivium Sydney
- 1999 "SOFA New York" "SOFA Chicago" presented by Charon Kransen USA
- 1999 "Contemporary Wearables 99" Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery Toowoomba thereafter toured in regional galleries in Australia
- 2000 "Beyond Borders" OXOXO Gallery Baltimore MD presended by Charon Kransen USA
- 2000 "The Metal Element III," Quadrivium Sydney Australia
- 2000 "2000 Japan Jewellery Art Competition" Itami City Craft Centre Itami & Uenonomori Museum Tokyo Japan
- 2000 "Australia 2000" Lesley Craze Gallery London UK
- 2000 "Australian Jewellery Collection 2000" The Queensland Art Gallery Brisbane Australia
- 2000 "Zehn" Trimetall Cologne Germany
- 2000 "Raum für Schmuck" Cologne Germany
- 2001 "Schmuck 2001" Internationale Handwerksmesse Munich & Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Stiftung Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Haus Bremen Germany
- 2001 "Chicago Art Fair SOFA" presented by Charon Kransen USA
- 2001 "Intersections, Bunbury Regional Art Galleries" Bunbury Western Australia.
- 2001-02 "Talente/Schmuck Exhibition in Australia" travelling exhibition organised by Craft Australia.
- 2003 "Pittwater Dreaming" 1000°C Jewellery and Glass Gallery Avalon Australia
- 2003 "Formed: Transfomed" Gallery East Fremantle Western Australia
- 2004 "Sydney Style" Sydney Opera House organized by Object Gallery Sydney Australia
- 2004 "Design Down Under: Jewelry from Australia and New Zealand" The South Shore Art Center Massachusetts & The Australian Embassy Washington DC. USA
- 2004 "2004 Mapping contemporary Australian art and new media", National Gallery of Victoria Melbourne Australia
Awards / Grants:
- 1984 /Japan Jewellery Prize / Japan Jewellery Exhibition / Japan Jewellery Designers Association Tokyo
- 1984 / Travel Grant / Australia-Japan Foundation
- 1993 / Creative Development Grant / Australia Council
- 1996 / Award of Excellence / 96 Jewellery Art Competition / Japan Jewellery Designers Association
- 2001-02 / Asialink Artist-in-Residence (with Peter Callas) / Asialink Australia & Sanskriti Kendra New Delhi India / grant for an artist residency program
Collections (Private & Museum):
- 1994 Acquisition Powerhouse Museum Sydney Australia
- 1995 Acquisition The National Museum of Modern Art Tokyo Japan
- 1996 Acquisition Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Launceston Australia
- 1998 Acquisition Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery Toowoomba Australia
- 2000 Acquisition Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane Australia
- Jewel, No. 87, p.39, Tokyo / Space. Space / May 1982
- Four Seasons of Jewellery, No. 53, pp.42-52, Tokyo / 84 Jewellery New / 1984
- Four Seasons of Jewellery, No. 59, pp.100-101, Tokyo / Thoughts and Impressions of Australia / 1985
- Dear W, December issue, p. 70, Tokyo / Women in the Art World, (interview) / 1985
- Four Seasons of Jewellery, No. 64, pp.44-45, Tokyo / Form of Body, Form of Jewellery: Yuri Kawanabe / 1985
- Jiho Kogaku Shinbun, No. 575, p.3, Tokyo / The World of Yuri Kawanabe, Dialogue of Metal and Space / 1985
- Decorative Design, No. 16, January, p.125, Tokyo / Exhibition Spotlight / 1986
- Shopping, September issue, p.62, Tokyo / Jewellery for my own / 1986
- The Good Times, Canberra Times, p.3, Canberra / A New Interest in Jewellery / March 1987
- Craft Arts, July/September issue, pp..93-94, Sydney / 331-SDS Jewellery Gallery / 1991
- Studio Collection, October issue, p.53, Sydney / Jewellery Duty / 1991
- Wingspan, inflight magazine of All Nippon Airways, December issue, p. 53 / Metal Origami / 1991
- The Sydney Morning Herald, May 20, Sydney / Heavy metal body hugger / 1994
- Object, No.3, pp.24-27, Sydney / Voices and the movement of hands / 1994
- Craft Arts, No. 33, pp. 29-34, Sydney / Ceremonial Transitions / 1995
- The Sydney Morning Herald, Dec.12, Sydney / Ancient arts new Broome / 1997
- Object, No. 2, pp.28-30. Sydney / BYO Pillow Case, Zen and Craft in Australia / 1998
- Contemporary Jewellery in Australia and New Zealand, Craftsman House, cover and pp.104-105, Sydney / 1998
- GZ, Goldschmiede Zeitung, No. 1, pp. 86-87, Stuttgart / Yuri Kawanabe / 1999
- Dictionaire International du Bijou, p. 314, Paris / Kawanabe (Yuri) /1999
- Catalogue, Contemporary Australian Craft, pp.88-89, Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art, Sapporo and Powerhouse Museum, Sydney / Yuri Kawanabe / 1999
- The Courier-Mail, Nov. 6, Weekend 12, Brisbane / Bold fusion / 1999
- Craft Arts International, No.54, Sydney / Intersections: Japan and Australia / 2002
- Catalogue, Sydney Style, Object-Australian Centre for Craft and Design, Sydney / yurikawanabe / 2004
- Catalogue, 2004 Mapping contemporary Australian art and new media, p.156, National Gallery of Victoria and Australian Centre for the Moving Images / Yuri Kawanabe / 2004
Model making for me is more like drawing than constructing mock-ups. Through the process of cutting and folding paper, images floating in my mind are gradually fixed. This process rekindles memories of my childhood, making domestic decorations for seasonal festivals in Japan. I have always been fascinated by marvellously crafted ceremonial displays which appear suddenly, as though by magic. In recent years I have encountered traditional ephemeral decorations in other Asian cultures, in which I found a strong resonance with my own design aesthetics.